Near
the end of July each year, Facebook pages and action figure message boards come
alive with discussion regarding the reveals at the San Diego Comic-Con. I, like hundreds (if not thousands) of fans
just like me, scour the Internet looking for snapshots of what is to come in
the toy aisles or online toy sites in the year ahead. Inevitably, many people are dismayed at their
top choices not being part of the line-up, and still others are overjoyed to
see that their pick made the cut. In
perusing the message boards these past few days since the close of SDCC, I have
seen a noticeable uptick in the amount of negativity expressed toward,
specifically, the DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription service and
Mattel. I have quietly subscribed each
summer in hopes that the line continues for yet another year. When the end of the subscription sign-up
period has ended, I have waited anxiously for the final announcement, and
rejoiced when its life was affirmed.
This year, I feel a certain duty to offer my perspective on a toy line
that has brought incredible joy to me and my family because, quite frankly, I
fear that the preponderance of negative feedback will deter many would-be
subscribers and bring a premature end to the collecting days of people just
like me.
The most common complaint
I have read over the years regards Digital River, the customer service
organization that processes the online subscriptions. I have no doubt that, yes, people have been
displeased with their experiences with this company, and have been frustrated
with little to no assistance with their unique situations. However, people need to know that this has
not been the experience of everyone. Over
the past several years of purchasing toys through Digital River, I have never
experienced a single problem. I ordered
the Legion of Superheroes 12-pack, and it was delivered to me without hassle
or frustration. I needed to change my
address a little less than two years ago, and I was met with professional
courtesy and quick service. When I
called again months later (in anticipation of the beginning of my subscription)
to verify that my address change had indeed been processed (and I did so after
reading all the horror stories), I was assured that it had. Sure enough, my action figures came to my new
house with absolutely no problem. After
having my credit card compromised (through no fault of Digital River, by the
way), I called to update that information, and, again, the customer service
representative handled my situation with professionalism. I experienced no interruption of my
subscription service. Again, in no way
do I doubt that errors have been made and customers have been upset with their
service, but I know that I am not the only person who has had a resoundingly positive
experience.
Other
complaints center on the fact that we are asked to subscribe to a service
without knowing even the majority of what we are purchasing. Would I like to know precisely what will be
delivered to my doorstep from January through December? I believe that goes without saying. However, from a business standpoint and from
my perspective, I understand that Mattel would only reveal a limited number of
action figures. If the subscription
fails, Mattel has minimized its losses by only having “tool’d” four figures
instead of thirteen. To me, that is
simple business sense. Still, people
will ignore that issue and demand more figures to be revealed before they
subscribe. While in no way is this even
remotely an exact comparison, I have never expected to see every issue of Consumer Reports or Entertainment Weekly prior to subscribing to the magazines. (And lest I be digitally crucified for
comparing magazines to toys, as far as I know, there are no other action figure
subscriptions to properly compare, so I simply chose the most common of
subscriptions.) I placed a trust in the
company that I will pay up front for their service (and, yes, I realize that
the price comparison shows a stark difference as well) and hopefully be rewarded with a satisfying product. Have there been issues of Entertainment Weekly that I merely flipped through and discarded? Of
course. But, on the whole, have I been
pleased with their news coverage and articles?
Absolutely! And the same holds
true for both DC Universe Classics and its subscription extension, Club
Infinite Earths. Was I really crazy for
Poison Ivy? Not especially. But when I also get to enjoy figures such as
Metron, Saint Walker, and most recently, Freddy Freeman, I know, beyond a
shadow of a doubt, that my personal investment has paid me back exponentially.
And
that is precisely where I, and hopefully many other potential subscribers, will
center their thoughts…on the enjoyment of it all. I got back into collecting action figures
(after a lengthy addiction through the 1990’s to WWF / WWE) with the Alex Ross
Justice line. After that line drew to a
close, I began looking for something to augment that limited collection. I still remember purchasing my first DC
Universe Classics figure, Cyborg from Wave 4, and adding him to the collection
on my desk at work. (Yes, all the pictures are from my desk at work...how I get away with this, I will never know!) It was
exciting. The more I looked into the
line and discovered all the various characters, the more excited I became. Whether scouring the aisles of Target or
Wal-Mart or Meijer, the thrill of the hunt was exhilarating…frustrating when I
could not find what I was looking for, and amazing when I tracked down that
last figure to complete the Collect and Connect figure…like Chemo, or Imperiex,
or, yes, even the Anti-Monitor from the colored lanterns wave. Having subscribed to Club Infinite Earths the
past two years, I feel that same excitement as I anticipate and finally see a
box outside my front door and tear it open, revealing that month’s
selection. My two sons have even caught
the collecting bug with me. I cannot
count the number of times my sons have looked through the DC Universe
Encyclopedia and asked, “Dad, do you have this guy?” This connection I share with my sons through
these action figures simply goes beyond words, and when it all comes down to
it, isn’t it really all about the kids anyway?
The
package may read “Adult Collector,” but I firmly believe that every person who
has collected DC Universe Classics or subscribed to Club Infinite Earths is
really attempting to retain some sense of his or her own childhood. Honestly, being an adult really sucks
sometimes with all its responsibility and political correctness. A simple action figure can harken a person
back to a pure moment of childhood innocence.
I grew up in a single parent household with not much extra money for
toys. Every action figure I collect as
an adult makes the child inside of me smile a little bit wider, and my children
get to experience the happiness that I never knew so many years ago. That level of happiness is positively
priceless.
With
the demise of both the DC Unlimited and Batman Unlimited lines, Club Infinite
Earths is the only hope we have to retain the excitement of 6” action figures,
to experience the anticipation and amazement of that monthly (or quarterly,
depending upon your shipping choice) figure, to be a child once again, to pass
on the love of collecting to one’s own children…to be happy. Don’t let the frustration of the adult world
stifle the happiness of the child inside you…please subscribe to Club Infinite
Earths!
Excellent write-up!!
ReplyDeleteI am going to give you two examples to counter your argument, one a toy subscription service and the other a correction to your magazine analogy.
ReplyDeleteThe G.I. Joe Collector's Club has a similar subscription service and they showed prototypes of ALL TWELVE FIGURES long before the subscription was purchasable. Keep in mind that the GIJCC is not a subsidiary of Hasbro, it is a third party, and yet they were able to do this while Mattel won't at least provide a character list.
With most magazine subscriptions, you are getting a significant discount so any risk is negligible. With MattyCollector subscriptions, you are paying an inflated price FOR risk.
Imagine that Entertainment Weekly is no longer available on newsstands. The only way to keep the magazine alive is through yearly subscriptions, except instead of paying a discount, you pay 30% more than the usual cover price, plus shipping costs, and instead of many small articles, there is only one very long article. You only know the subjects of a few articles at the time of subscription, and if you don't like any particular article then you are out of luck, you paid $10 for an issue you don't want to read, and you cannot cancel your 1-year subscription, so you better hope the subjects and quality of future articles is good enough to make the subscription worth the $120 cost.
Welcome to the world of MattyCollector.com subscriptions.
By the way, I didn't include the tax on product AND shipping costs that subscribers pay.